Class day! Oh, phooey. The sky was gray and it was pouring rain at 9:00 a.m. in Richmond. Pit Ed class started in an hour and a half. A quick email exchange confirmed that class would be held under an overpass because so many folks had come out to attend. No matter. I like the rain, so the gear got packed up and off I went to work a dog that I'd only met the day before.
Outside of balking at wind-driven rain and biting at his leash, my experience with Kasbah was pretty positive. His antics at the Barn have won him a place in the hearts of both staff and volunteers. The class instructor shared a story about Kas having stolen her cell phone and running around the barn yard playing "keep away." Really? Oh, my... what did he have in store for me?
Next step: home visit.
September 28
Today is the day I'll be bringing Kasbah home! I spent the week tidying up (read: removing all items from reachable surfaces that could be tempting chew toys), cleaning the back yard, and washing bedding so everything would be ready for my house guest.
Kas did well at class with only a slight distraction which was entirely my fault--locked my keys in the car. (Oh, how embarrassing!) A nice man from the Toyota collision repair center rescued me and Pops, Kas and I went back to class and then was time to go home...
The backyard was our first stop out of the car.
So far, so good. Now for the house...
Inside, Kas made himself at home immediately. I had just vacated my seat at the table after lunch and turned around to see this:
![]() |
The first night went alright--only a couple of marking incidents to deal and little barking at the noisy new neighborhood.
September 29
I decided to take the big boy to work with me and figure out a solution for leaving him at home during the day when I returned. Kas was a huge hit with the folks at my office (I work for a church) and several members of the congregation. One little girl took a real shine to him and asked if she could pet him. I said it would be ok if she followed my rules for a proper introduction. She responded with, "I know how to do it. I have a pit bull/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix at home." (Will wonders never cease!) Her hand went out slowly, back side up, and the next thing I knew she was chuckling his cheeks and Kas obliged by flipping over on his back for a belly rub. Good dog!
Back at home with the dogs fed, walked and, I thought, settled in, I began to record notes for this blog. I have a very small house so not much goes on here that escapes my hearing. All was quiet. No telltale clicking of toenails... just peace and quiet. I must have dozed or become enthralled with reading something online because I didn't hear Kas get up and move off the sofa and onto my big chair. (Why does he like my chairs?) What I did hear was a deep snoring sound... it was hard not to laugh out loud.
More updates to come...

No comments:
Post a Comment